- English translation: Outer Gate
International identity number: SJ 05, San Jiao 05, Triple Warmer 05, Triple Heater 05,
- Luo-Connecting point of the San Jiao channel
- Master point of the Yang Wei Mai (Yang Linking vessel) with Zu Lingqi (GB-41)
- 2 cun above Yangchi (SJ 4), in the depression between the radius and ulna, on the radial side of the extensor digitorum communis tendons.
- a cun is the distance between the 2nd and 3rd knuckles, or the distance at the widest part of the thumb.
- Additional: Yangchi (SJ4) is located on the back of the wrist, at the level of the wrist joint (crease) in the depression between the tendons of extensor digitorum communis, and extensor digiti minimi.
- Perpendicular insertion 0.5 to 1.5 cun. or through needling to Neiguan (P 6).
- Expels Wind Heat
- Releases the Exterior
- Removes obstructions from the channel
- Benefits the ears
- Subdues Liver Yang
- Benefits the head and ears
- Clears heat
- Activates the channel and alleviates pain
- Opens the Yang Wei Mai (Yang Linking vessel)
Wai Guan (SJ-05) is the opening point of the Yang Wei Mai of the Eight Extraordinary Vessels, which may be the most ancient body energetic system.
SJ-05 is essential in expelling pathogenic factors from the exterior especially febrile diseases. It is indicated for temporal, frontal and vertex headaches
Pain in the cheek, strained neck, deafness, tinnitus, pain in the hypochondriac region, motor impairment of the elbow/arm, pain in the fingers, hand tremor.
Luo-Connecting points of one meridian can communicate with two meridians. They treat diseases of the collaterals and can be used to treat chronic diseases, especially chronic diseases of the Zang-Fu organs. Clinically, Luo-Connecting points are often combined with Yuan-Source points in the treatment of diseases.
James O’Sullivan - that's me, a people friendly practitioner and lecturer of Integrated Medicine, serving my patients, my students and the public with the positive benefits of both Conventional Western Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine. #jamushur
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to diagnose or assess. The information provided is not to be considered a substitute for consultation with a qualified health care practitioner.